So after a hiatus, my body type series is back, and best of all, it stars viewers just like you! I’m so excited to be able to continue this series virtually by analyzing the body types of viewers all over the world. If you’re interested in appearing in a future video, simply send me an email to email@example.com and I’ll get you started.
For the first virtual body type analysis I chose Kath. Kath is a longtime client and a member of my Ageless Style Program, and she happens to be based in Australia. Kath is 5’5″, in her 40s, with a Style Dial Red (hourglass) body type. In today’s video, I analyze 5 outfits that Kath loves and 3 that she doesn’t, and give suggestions on ways to improve them all!
These outfits were chosen by Kath as her personal favorites for their flattery fit and style. We’re going to break them down to see why they work.
- Outfit 1: This outfit works so well. The shorts are a beautiful length, the belt defines her waist nicely, and the blazer ties everything together. The sleeves on the blazer are a little long, so pushing them up would make this even better. The pieces are simple and streamlined without being boxy or fitted, so this is perfect for her body type.
- Outfit 2: Sometimes tucking a top into a skirt can create an awkward line, but the moto ties these pieces together in a flattering way. The lengths of these items work on Kath, creating an overall elegant and neutral look. The high boots going under the hem of the skirt create an unbroken line that is elongating and flattering.
- Outfit 3: The flowy fun pants are balanced by a sleek and simple top that also happens to be sleeveless, as well as a defined waist. The nude sandals further balance the outfit and keep it flattering.
- Outfit 4: A simple pair of jeans are dressed up with an elongating pair of ballet flats in a nude shade and a pretty top. A simple and stylish outfit formula.
- Outfit 5: A pencil skirt looks best on hourglass body types, and this works especially well paired with this pretty v-neck floral top with waist tie detail. I would not change a thing about this outfit, but if she wanted to look even sleeker, a nude pump or sandal with a heel would also be amazing.
- Outfit 6: A simple boatneck knit top tucked into a khaki skirt with a drop waist and ruffles at the hem is a flattering look, especially when styled with the belt and the pretty pink pumps. The strap across the top of the pumps could shorten Kath’s legs, but the color makes this not as much of an issue as they blend nicely with her skin tone.
The Before & Afters
These are the outfits Kath is struggling with, the ones she finds hard to wear or unflattering. I’ll show how some small tweaks can take them from questionable to cute!
A A-line midi skirt in a stiff fabric is one of the hardest styles to wear. It makes everyone look like they are wearing a tent. That’s why I advise staying away from mid-calf styles in leather, denim or another stiff fabric. This skirt needed to be hemmed to a better length, and paired with a simple top and a nude shoe to make it look even more flattering.
Body plus boxy is always hard to wear. This outfit was too baggy and shapeless for Kath, and swallowed up her gorgeous figure. The closed shoes continue the boxy lines. We started by losing the fleece vest, which would be great over streamlined pants, like a skinny jean, and replacing it with a blazer with a belt underneath. Now the overall effect is flattering and stylish. The necklace and more streamlined sandals complete the outfit.
Kath chose to purge this blouse, which she didn’t love and which she felt overemphasized her shoulders. In the first look, the long top hides her pretty waistline, and the shoes don’t add any flattery to the outfit (although they would be cute with pants or shorts, for example). We switched the top for a more streamlined floral blouse and added the nude sandals again for a chic and feminine look.
What do you think of these outfits? Which was your favorite on Kath, and which before and after gave you ideas for your own outfits! Let me know in the comments!
Nada Manley says
Thank you so much! I am so glad you can see the benefit of the changes!
Kath is stunning in Outfit #5! And the small changes you made to her not fave outfits made a huge difference!!