Today I decided to answer a question from a reader, Silvia, who asked how I choose shoes for an outfit. Instead of doing the usual outfit collages, I chose to illustrate my shoe strategies using outfits from an actual week in my life, the week of September 20.
This is a different kind of video, and a little more relaxed, as I walk you through a week in my life and how I dressed for it.
Clothes are, after all, meant to be worn, and we can fantasize about outfits that look great in theory, but unless those clothes are making it out and about in our actual lives, we are missing the point.
- Monday: The pink mule pulled the color from the top, and since the outfit was flattering, I could afford a pair of fun shoes.
- Tuesday: These leopard shoes work best with pants and shorter skirts because of the high vamp.
- Wednesday: I wore my current favorite black heels, from J. Crew, with this outfit, and even though the strap shortens the leg line a bit, I liked the overall effect.
- Thursday: The white mules lengthen the leg line on this otherwise slouchy outfit.
- Friday: This outfit is flattering enough for flats, and the crazy day called for them.
- Friday night: Date night called for heels, and this outfit is flattering and fitted, so these pumps, which might otherwise shorten the leg because of the strap, worked.
- Saturday: This dress was short enough to pair with flat mules.
- Sunday: A navy midi-dress for church needed the pop of color from these heeled mules.Monday: This classic outfit got a kick of color from these flat mules.
- Monday: Another simple look that I chose to elevate with fun shoes. These shoes work better with pants or shorter skirts or dresses, because I don’t love the line that they create with a classic dress.
Which of these outfits is your fave? And what are your strategies for picking the right shoes for an outfit?
( I also highlighted a The Wardrobe Box from The Wardrobe, a secondhand subscription box with proceeds benefitting the Philadelphia-based nonprofit, which helps with clothing insecurity. Click here to learn more about it. )
Nada Manley says
Thank you Bonnie! I LOVE your ideas! There are so many possibilities and I only covered a few here. 🙂
Bonnie Boyd says
Hello Nada! THIS IS FUN! There are so many nice clothes here, but my FAVORITE look that I can see myself totally in is Wednesday’s. I love that look too! The second Monday’s top is amazing! My shoe choices for similar outfits to yours would be: M-black sandals or flip flops, T- black ankle boots/ booties, W- SAME!, Th- white tennies (but after much consideration)…, F day- my oyster suede ankle boots (with snakeskin trim above heels) OR my new wine ankle boots, F night- same shoes as yours but I would drop that skirt to my belly where I could get a better ‘line’ for it, more curvy …, and S-same as yours, or possibly boots, and Sunday- maybe slides, maybe navy suede flats, and then second M- definitely booties or shooties with a western flair.
Loved this !!!