People are really biased towards winners. Generally, as a rule, when you want to learn a new skill, you turn to someone who does it well, but I think that’s misguided. The best people to learn from, in my opinion, are the failures. The ones who have done it badly, time and again, because they know the pitfalls.
Which is why I’m considering teaching a course in fender-bender-prevention. And why I decided to channel a lifetime of mistakes into this gift guide for men. Because, when you’ve bought every dud and made every mistake imaginable, you can teach others a thing or two.
Here are my lessons:
- Don’t buy uber-trendy clothes for your future husband. Even if you’re the editor of a fashion magazine and think you can get away with it. Crops by any other name are still capris, and he won’t wear them.
- Don’t buy electronics if you don’t know what you’re doing. There are many, many examples of times I got this wrong…
- When your husband asks for something specific, like a dart board, do your research. Otherwise you might have to trudge through a mall to a Restoration Hardware to return the gorgeous, but non-electronic, dartboard and exchange it for a less-attractive electronic version. Who knew he didn’t want real darts being hurled through our game room?
- Do make it personalized. The best gift I ever bought my husband is a set of custom golf clubs, which he still uses and loves.
- Don’t assume that just because he likes golf/baseball/bacon, that he will also love golf/baseball/bacon tchotchkes. However, if the tchotchkes are truly humorous, useful, or innovative, then go for it.
And now for the gift ideas! Read on for the 2015 BeautyMommy Edition of the Best Gifts for Men.
Gift Crates from ManCrates.com
There literally is not a man on the planet who wouldn’t like one of the crates from this extensive site, which includes a selection for every hobby, interest and passion. You’ll find Sports, Outdoors, Eating, Drinking, Grilling, Personalized, and more. Themed crates include the Retro Gamer, Old School, Muscle Hustle Fitness, and the Clean Shave, and they start at $19.99 (for Mount Rubsmore, a selection of rubs for the grilling enthusiast) to $179.99 for the Zombie Annihilation Crate. My favorite, though, is the New Dad Tactical Bag, $99.99, above; ManCrates.com
SPARQ Personalized Whiskey Rocks
For the whiskey lover who has everything, this is the perfect stocking stuffer – a set of 3 whiskey rocks bearing his initial. $16.95, Nordstrom
Clarisonic Alpha Fit
The innovative cleansing brush, sized and designed for men, will keep his skin clear and make shaving easier. $189, Amazon
The Man Cave
UnBaskets.com features unconventional gift baskets, like this ManCave basket, with everything he needs to enjoy his ManCave. $60, UnBaskets.com
Broo Craft Beer Thickening Shampoo
You know that old beauty tip about putting beer in your hair? Well, Broo has made it official and put it in shampoo. $8.99, Amazon
Spicebomb Shaving Set
Viktor & Rolf’s new men’s fragrance, Spicebombo, in a handy shaving set with a sleek razor. $125, Nordstrom
Mister Pompadour Hair Products
All natural, retro-styled hair products from Mister Pompadour will leave his hair thicker, softer, and minty fresh. $17.95-19.95, Amazon
Scentbird for Men
Scentbird delivers designer a 30-day supply of designer cologne every month for $14.95 a month. It’s a great way to try new scents, and a subscription makes a unique gift you’ll both enjoy.
Kiel’s Musts for Men
Costello Tagliapietra for Kiehl’s Men’s Must-Haves Collection offers an array of grooming goodies in a handy gift box. $39, Nordstrom
Still not finding the right fit? Check my Amazon store, where I’ll continue to add unique gift ideas, including stocking stuffers like these Compression Fit Golf Gloves or the Matador Pocket Blanket, practical choices like a Boken diaper bag for a new dad, and fun finds like this Zombie Cajun Hot Sauce Gift Set. I checked in with my BeautyMommy VIP Facebook group for even more ideas, which ranged from thoughtful gift cards – for a massage or car washes for a year – to the latest games and game systems for a gamer. Another great idea. Experiences, from autocross racing to football games to a photography class to a romantic overnight trip. But my favorite gift idea of all was the most affordable one: A video in which friends and family reveal what they appreciate the most about him. I know it’s a cliche, but I’m going to say it… the best gifts really do come from the heart.
And the internet. (Wink) So while you’re at it, check out some of the Best Beauty Gifts for yourself, as well as the Best Gifts for Kids and the Best Hostess Gifts.
Leave a Reply