I don’t even want to think about what the number on my last birthday cake used to mean to me, years ago, when it was far-off and safely out of reach. There is a lot, too much, that I feel is behind me, and the list seems to grow longer every day. It includes, but is not limited to, the following: Short denim cutoffs. Glittery makeup. Outrageous platforms. And I’m learning to live with a few of the things I’ve picked up along the way, and I’m not just talking about gray hairs. I’m talking about self-knowledge. Being no-longer-25 means that I have learned, through trial and error, what is me, what I wish was me but doesn’t work because I am too short/skinny/mature/conservative, and what has never, and will never, be me. And I’ve managed, I think, to find a formula that works, that makes things simple and streamlined and makes shopping less about soul-searching and more about honing in on the pieces that I know I will wear, again and again. And that’s one of the secrets of stylish moms. They know what works, they create their own winning formula, and they don’t deviate from it. At least not by much. I was so inspired by some of the amazing moms from my Stylish Mom series, that I decided to create a visual representation of my own style. These are some of the must haves that I rely on to get me out the door, fast, as well as some fantasy picks that simply embody my sense of style. Hopefully, you’ll find some ideas here that will inspire you to hone in on the items that make your style uniquely your own!
1. The Knit Dress: I live in these year round. Easy, chic and comfortable. My faves are from Isle Apparel, Splendid, James Perse (shown) and Ella Moss.
2. Statement Sunnies: Always oversized, I rely on shades on days when I’m tired. So pretty much every day. They are an instant lift. My current faves are hot pink shades from Coach, but these Valentino glasses look fab for fall.
3. Anthropologie: I like everything from Anthropologie, but especially some of the designer lines like Yoana Baraschi, Tracy Reese, Leifsdottir and Byron Lars (shown).
4. Giorgio Armani Maestro Eraser: My all-time favorite concealer. Superlightweight, it doesn’t settle into fine lines and immediately eliminates circles.
5. Lavanila Vanilla Grapefruit rollerball: I am partial to grapefruit so this is my pick of the Lavanila scents, and the rollerball is so fun and purse-friendly.
6. Black ponte pants: Mine are from Joe’s and they are just as comfortable as leggings, but a lot more versatile. I wear them 10 months out of the year.
7. Valentino: I adore the ultrafeminine vibe, and of course, Valentino red. If my credit card had no limits, I would only wear Valentino.
8. AG Stilt Jeans: Sleek and chic – these are my go-tos.
9. Cardigans: Shops and restaurants in Florida are notoriously cold, so I am never without a cardi. I have tons of them, but my absolute faves are printed cardigans from Blumarine.
10. Bite Beauty BB for Lips: Seriously, I am obsessed with Bite. Their lipsticks taste amazing. This leaves my lips so moisturized and adds enough color to make a statement but not enough that you have to be precise with your application. Love.
11. Leopard cuff: A touch of leopard is always appropriate, and I am loving cuffs these days.
12. Laura Mercier mineral powder foundation in Rich Vanilla: A couple of dusts of this powder and my complexion is even and softly matte, and it’s completely undetectable.
13. Diamond cross: A gift from my husband when Eva was born, I rarely take this off.
14. Jane Iredale Glow Time BB Cream: This miraculous stuff starts out very thick, but then quickly disappears into the skin, leaving it glowing and flawless. And you only need a tiny dab. Amazing.
15. Ted Baker clutch: I adore everything Ted Baker, especially his signature feminine prints. A clutch like this perks up any neutral ensemble.
16. Sophia Webster for J. Crew pumps: J. Crew makes amazing shoes – gorgeous and totally wearable, and this collab with Sophia Webster is genius.
17. Miu Miu flats: I love pretty, playful flats, and Miu Miu makes my favorites!
18. Kate Spade hat: I will wear nearly anything from Kate Spade. This hat offers sun protection and feminine drama. Love it!
Want to hone in on your personal style? Why not use simple tools like Polyvore and Pinterest to create one of your own!
Leave a Reply