I wasn’t sure what kind of mom I was going to be, style-wise. I designed the nursery to be soft and timeless, with pink-washed walls, crushed velvets and vintage florals, and I stocked up on sweet, smocked and embroidered styles from Sarah Louise, Ralph Lauren and Petit Patapon. And then Lola arrived. Slowly, I branched out, buying a little here, a little there. I bought a little plaid pleated dress from Juicy, everyday items from Gymboree and Target, and even an Asian-inspired kimono style two piece. Her style became a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Today, Lola’s wardrobe, and Eva’s, as well, is a combination of H&M and Halabaloo, Right Bank Babies and Ralph Lauren.
I think most moms are this way. They buy what they like, what they respond to, and what their kids will wear. Still, kids fashions, and the moms who buy them, fall loosely into two categories: the classicists, who adore big bows, sweet smocking and pillowcase dresses, and the modernists, who like trendier, fashion forward styles. On this list, I tried to appeal to both! Classic styles are updated with trendy details and colors to make everyone happy. I hope.
The Beauty Mommy Best Buy List: 5 Under $50 (with most around $30)
1. Blueberi Boulevard Iridescent Coat & Dress Set, $28, Kohl’s: This stunning, chic dress and coat combo, in a gorgeous metallic plum, is only $28.
2. Black Bow Lace Dress, starting at $28, Next Direct: So many cute options here, but this one is the most click-worthy and the most classic.
3. Ralph Lauren velvet dress, $29.99, Ralph Lauren: Unlike the velvet Ralph Lauren farther down the list (see The Fantasy List, below), this one is classic, chic and affordable.
4. Blueberi Boulevard Petal Dress, $28: Over the top, fabulous, with high-end details, at a very affordable price. Love!
5. Old Navy ponte dress with bow, $17: I love this classic, timeless style, and the price is unbeatable!
The Fantasy List: Top 5 Over $100
Ralph Lauren Chocolate Brown Velvet dresses, starting at $125, Neiman Marcus: Gorgeously classic, these luxurious dresses are timeless, in true Ralph Lauren fashion, but updated in rich chocolate brown. Sigh. There’s a style for every age, but the infant version, above, is my favorite.
David Charles Red Bow Boiled Wool Dress, $218, Neiman Marcus: Absolutely perfect, this sweet, simple dress is in the prettiest shade of Christmas red, and is finished off with a festive bow.
Jottum Silver Sleeveless Dress, $208, Alex and Alexa: This silver sleeveless dress has high-fashion details, with its unexpected shade and shine, but the twirly skirt keeps it sweet and innocent.
Isabel Garreton Chiffon Dress & Bloomers Set, about $200, Alex and Alexa: This sweet, timeless dress takes my breath away. It’s just so magical. This is the infant size, but it comes in larger sizes, too.
Milly Minis High Waisted Rosette Dress, starting at $190: I know I veered off the beaten path with this one, but I just love, love, love it. Love the color, love the ruffles, love the black sash.
More Beauty Mommy Top Picks (click on the picture of the dress for details)
Milly Minis “Annie” Dress
Milly Minis Striped Sweater Dress, $127
Charabia Feather Sleeved Party Dress, $245
Pippa & Julie brocade dress, $55
Iris & Ivy brocade dress, $62