Looks can be deceiving. Sure, a t-shirt can seem basic, but its everyday appearance belies its wardrobe transforming abilities. In other words, it can do a lot to make you look cute. And just because a t-shirt is simple, doesn’t mean it’s easy. Finding the right t-shirt can be a challenge. Fortunately, I’ve rounded up some of the best options for every budget and every body type!
Top T-Shirt Tips
1. Details, details: Look for a t-shirt with a clean hem, nice edges, and upscale details like satin trim or piping.
2. Weight matters: Look for a t-shirt that is substantial enough to wear on its own, and not so sheer that it needs to be layered over something.
3. Keep it simple: The most versatile t-shirt is a solid color, in a simple shape, without any unnecessary embellishments.
4. Quality counts: As with everything, buy the best you can afford. Spend more on classic t-shirts that you can wear for a couple of years, but save on trendy t-shirts in of-the-moment colors, patterns or silhouettes.
5. Black and White: Black, or navy/chocolate/charcoal, if you prefer, and white are the two basic t-shirt colors to start with. Add additional colors as the need arises. White t-shirts need to be updated regularly, because they can look grungy after a couple of seasons.
Best T-Shirts for Style Dial #1
This proportional body type does well in a slightly fitted, but not skin-tight, v-neck style in the sleeve length of your choice.
Best T-Shirts for a Style Dial #2
This body type, with narrow shoulders and curvy hips, bum and thighs, looks fabulous in horizontal details, like scoop, boat, or wide necks, and details at the shoulders to help the hips appear proportional.
Best T-Shirts for a Style Dial #3
This straighter body type, with proportional shoulders and hips (or sometimes, with broader shoulders) and an undefined waist, will be flattered by v-neck styles, especially with draping, shirring or ruching for waist definition.
A t-shirt might seem like one of the humblest items in your wardrobe, but its versatility and classic, laid-back style make it an essential, so it’s worth the time to find a style that you love. For more Capsule Wardrobe Essentials, check out my regularly updated Essentials Catalog with hand-picked item for every body type, budget, and lifestyle.