Since mine was the frown heard around town, I am trying to redeem myself with something a little more optimistic, and a little more helpful, than hearing me complain. But first, one more complaint.
I have this problem when it comes to school lunches. Eva is easy, as I am discovering that she is much more adventurous and eats a much wider variety than her sister, but Lola doesn’t eat much of anything, including many kid-friendly staples like:
peanut butter and/or jelly
any nut butter
lunch meat (except salami)
grilled cheese ( a sandwich)
cereal with milk (she will eat it without, though)
hamburgers (see grilled cheese, above)
did I mention SANDWICHES…
Aagghhh…The only kind of sandwich she will eat is feta cheese on pita bread. Kind of like her mama. But anyway, I really struggle with lunch ideas for her. These limited options make our regular rotation:
Organic mac and cheese in one of those Thermos containers
Fruit, veggie and cheese plate with crackers
Hard boiled egg with fruit and veggies
Cheese pizza (one day a week, she buys pizza from school. I am not happy about it)
Studies show that 4 out of 5 lunches prefer cheese… 😉 Anyway, I did some digging and discovered a few new recipes to jazz up Lola’s lunches (and Eva’s, too). No sandwiches. And almost no cheese. : )
1. Quinoa pizza bites from Once a Month Mom:. “Pizza” made of quionoa and diced veggies? Love it. And I love the idea of pizza sauce for dipping! Thanks OAMM!
2. Taco Dip in A Cup: Thank you thank you thank you Second Chance to Dream for your genius list of 25 sandwichless lunches… Woo hoo! This one is my favorite. So pretty!
3. Salad: A salad, with everything shaped like flowers, including the homemade croutons. Really??? I am the worst mother ever. I didn’t even know you could make croutons! But I’m going to try.. Lola actually likes salad. Without dressing. And tomatoes. And cucumbers…
4. Spinach Cake Muffins: Weelicious never fails me, and these are truly inspired. Maybe I can whip up some cream cheese frosting and convince Lola these are cupcakes.
5. Nori Wraps: I love the Gracious Pantry! I think she is a genius, and these rolls are perfect for my sushi newbie. But I’d have to skip the sesame seeds.
Hope these inspire you a little!