This may not be news to anyone, but I’m something of a clotheshorse. In the past, when forced to choose, I would always pick a pretty dress over a new pair of earrings. The dress, I reasoned, had so much more wardrobe impact. But then, when I found myself increasingly facing a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear, I started to reconsider. Why did I always find myself in a great dress, feeling underdressed? And why was my wardrobe so filled with one-hit wonders? I found myself admiring the way my most stylish friends accessorized, like a tall, slim acquaintance of mine whose talent for accessorizing adds flair to her uniform of slim jeans and simple tops. And another friend whose breezy, boho-chic look is always capped off with chunky wooden bangles and dangly earrings. I found myself really paying attention to accessories for the first time in a long time, and, not uncoincidentally, they also started to come out of the shadows of fashion, sharing style-mag-space with flashier, spendier extras like bags and shoes. They came into their own, just as I woke up and started to crave statement necklaces and earrings, bangles and cocktail rings. I’ve spent the last couple of years playing catchup, stocking up on pivotal pieces, particularly necklaces and bangles. (I am still too lazy, most mornings, to switch out my everyday diamond studs for something flashier, but that is slowly changing). And while there are some pieces that are definitely worth a splurge, whether it’s because they are destined to become your stylish standbys or simply because they are too fabulous to pass up, there are times when you want a little flash without spending a lot of cash. (Sorry – couldn’t resist). These items might last you one season or several, but they all have one thing in common: maximum impact with no commitment.
1. Santa Fe Woven Bracelet, $6.99, Down East Basics: I learned about this site through The Budget Babe, and, just as she described, it’s Anthroopologie-ish, but cheaper. This bangle adds warmth and texture to any look, and at this price, you can buy an armful.
2. Yellow & Gold Link Necklace, $30, t+jdesigns: Sometimes simple pieces can have the most impact. I love chunky necklaces, and this combination of gold and bold will go with virtually everything you own this summer.
3. Lava Deco Cuff, $42, baublebar: This gorgeous cuff tops my list for a couple of reasons: it’s got vintage style with an edge, and it looks way more expensive than it is. Just stunning!
4. Bow earrings, $26, joojooland on etsy.com: Etsy is always my source for unexpected treasures. These earrings are so sweet and feminine – they’ll add ladylike charm to everyday ensembles.
5. Red Flower Brass Ring, $5, elizajanestore, etsy.com: I love fun, slightly outrageous rings like this one, especially when they combine modern color with vintage style. If this style isn’t your thing, check out this store’s many other style, like the lavender owl that’s another favorite.