Now that I’ve finally managed to shift from high gear to slow-and-summery, I’ve noticed that my home, and my closet, haven’t kept up. Hear are a few of the updates that I need to help me sail smoothly through the summer, without breaking a sweat (or taking my bank account!)
1. Indoor/Outdoor Rug, $299: These days, the dark, heavy living room of our Spanish Revival home seems almost oppressive, and I am looking for an easy way to lighten the mood. Since Hugs, our perennially puppy-like maltese, hit 10 last month, he has been using our dark, wool living room rug as a back-up potty, and the frequent professional cleanings are not enough to completely remove the odor. I want to start fresh with something that is as carefree as it looks. I think these breezy styles from Ballard Designs will do the trick. I’m leaning towards the Cologne rug, above.
2. Pillow Play, $130 and up: After the new rug, I’d like to freshen up the living room for summer by switching out the pillows from my beloved, but dark-and-heavy, Mexico vacation finds to these from the very chic, French Yves Delorme. Now if only I could choose… All at finelinenandbath.com.
3. Something Straw, about $40-50, Target: I plan to replace my tired, upholstered ottomans for these light and breezy straw poufs from Privet House for Target. Chic, functional, and versatile.
4. Summery Scents, $40, aedes.com: If, like me, you buy lovely scented candles and then forget to light them, this chic, functional home fragrance system is for you. Agraria Tassel d’Aire is a lovely, scented accessory that makes it easy to enjoy the company’s sophisticated scents. Lemon Verbena is perfect for summer.
5. Fresh Flowers, $28: Brighten your home with a vase full of daisies in a statement-making vase from Anthropologie.