So, just as my house needed a little summer spruce-up, so did my closet, as I throw myself into the steamy days of summer, woefully unprepared. Most years, by the time June rolls around, I am stocked up for the season: cases of sunscreen, a few new swimsuits, tags still on, a half dozen cover-ups, a new beach tote, a flattering chapeau – or seven. And that’s just for me. This year, both my girls and I found ourselves unprepared, so I was fortunate to be able to snap up some last minute buys at Marshall’s (Submarine swimsuits and hot pink Native shoes for Lola, Juicy and Marc Jacobs swimwear for me) and online (MyHabit has the most adorable little crocheted sunsuits by a brand I’d never heard of – I just bought a set for each girl). I also managed to snag a fun little beach tote at my second home, Target, for $40, left. Here, 5 summertime essentials that are on my list, and why they should be on yours.
1. The Tunic – The Webster at Target Jacquard Tunic in Deco Print, $29.99: This chic little tunic works great over your bathing suit by day, and then slip into some white jeans and metallic sandals for a night out.
2. The Sandal: ALDO Vivolo Sandals, $119.95, Nordstrom: Crisp and subtly preppy, these will be the pair you wear with everything!
3. The Sun Hat: Kate Spade Sun Hat, $98, Saks Fifth Avenue: I love how Kate Spade adds a playful touch to everyday essentials, like this chic chapeau with a patent bow. Love!
4. The Straw Clutch: Tory Burch Ombre Turnlock, $250: Yes, I know a beach bag is the real essential for summer, but I am going to assume you have one of those, or know where to find one. (Although there are so many cute options that I might devote a blog entirely to them…) But the real stylemaker, this season, is a lot smaller and a lot chic-er. (Yes, that’s a word. I know, because I invented it). It’s decorative, delightful, and as essential to summer as a bikini. Or, in my case, more so, since bikinis and I are not loving each other these days. This one from Tory Burch is a real standout.
5. The Bright Necklace, Bubble Necklace, Etsy, $19: Yes, I know that everyone is raving about earrings this season, but there is still no single item that transforms an outfit as quickly as a necklace. And with affordable options from Etsy shop himediy, you can pick more than one signature color!
Great selections. I am loving the hat!