I am hosting 4 major parties at our house in the next 2 months, and the house shows no signs of getting any readier. In spite of all of my efforts at organization, I just seem to keep falling farther and farther behind. The library is completely hidden under piles of toys still in their shopping bags, decorative items waiting for a home, and, ironically, empty organizational bins and boxes. The back door area is completely crammed full of assorted items from our half-done garage clean out project, awaiting Kevin’s pending storage closet redo. And my desk area, which is really just a countertop off of my kitchen, is buried under piles of papers and assorted junk. The thing is – I have plenty of organizers, but I am still not organized. Sigh. So the desk, being the smallest and most manageable, is the first item on my list. I’ve been wanting to reaccessorize it and glam it up for a while, but as with all of these types of decisions, it takes me a while. Do I want to go with a hippie-chic eclectic feel a la Anthropologie with some floral Cath Kidston items mixed in. Or do I want to go with a sleek, chic red lacquer desk area – simple, spare, flawlessly edited. I’ve decided that my eclectic nature needs the freedom to mix things up a little, to combine modern with romantic, clean with colorful. Here are some of the best desk accessories I’ve found. Tomorrow, I will tell you what I actually chose, bought, and post a before pic. Soon, hopefully, an after pic will follow. In the meantime, I hope these inspire you to revamp your own home office!
1. Acrylic Desk Set, $180-550, horchow.com: Sure it’s pricey, but just look it at. Gorgeous and so sleek!
2. Hexagon Tray, $175, Jonathan Adler: Love his “happy chic” aesthetic, and these lacquer trays are stunning.
3. Acrylic trays, $78-98, Jonathan Adler: Beautiful, but I would have to choose a pattern. Hmmmm…
4. Format storage boxes, $39.95, CB2: Sleek, see-through red and black boxes stack up to stylish storage. Also love the matching wastebasket.
5. Tree Bookends, $49.95, CB2: A cool, quirky nod to nature.
6. Format desk collection, $7.95 to $29.95: Clear acrylic goes with everything, and lets me mix up my color scheme when I get bored.
7. Cuckoo Clock, $99.95, CB2: Not exactly a desk accessory, but this retro-modern style would really perk up a workspace.
8. Jet Set Wall Calendar, $14.95, Jonathan Adler: This would really add color to an otherwise neutral space.
9. Poodle Giant Eraser, $9.95, Jonathan Adler: I. Must. Own. This. Just as soon as it’s back in stock.
10. Note Cube with Pen Holder: Another artful objet from my friend Jonathan. Love him!