I knew this day would come, but I didn’t expect it to be so soon. Lola’s adorable, frilly, ruffled backpack from J. Crew is not serving it’s intended purpose: to transport her things back and forth to school. Her teacher kindly pointed out last week that it was a struggle to get her folder in there every day, and so I was already considering getting another backpack, and then this week the strap broke. Really? After less than a month of very light use by a kindergartener? Clearly it was not intended for heavy-duty use. Lola was understandably sad – she adores that backpack – but I’ve managed to get her excited about the idea of a new one. So far she has flatly rejected the adorable floral Cath Kidston one that I love, although I might be able to change her mind, and we dismissed the Pottery Barn ones because the prints she liked were already taken by her classmates. So here are my options, so far. When she gets home from school, she will vote on her favorite, and I will be ordering a new one. I wondering which one she will pick!
1. Bakker Schoolbags, $58: This French company makes the hippest, retro-style schoolbags. I first saw them in Chasing Fireflies, but couldn’t make out the label and the red one, the one I want, is sold out. Then I spotted similar styles, in printed fabrics, on NonchalantMom.com, but they are all sold out as well. Now I am on a hunt for another store that sells them. Help!
2. Stephen Joseph GoGo Backpacks, $23.99: While I am not a fan of the quilted styles, these sleek, Go Go styles are adorable. There are so many cute girly designs that I have a hard time narrowing it down, but I think the cupcake is my favorite! Also love the matching lunchboxes and the fact that they can be personalized.
3. Angel Street Kids Butterfly Backpack, $25.99: Very cute. Lola would love this, but it’s not as fashiony as some of the others I like.
4. Serena & Lily Backpack, $118: Daily Candy featured the usual lineup of hip backpacks from Dabbawalla (adorable, but too small) and those spikey dinosaur packs, and they even featured J. Crew’s Scandinavian style one (too plain) and the Bakker bags I covet (sold out everywhere). And then I saw these! Too bad they are no longer availalbe anywhere on the Serena & Lily website!!! Help! This might just be the perfect backpack: hip, colorful, girly, fun. And durable looking! And SOLD OUT! Waaahh!
5. Oilily Fancy Planet Small Backpack, $108: Lola loves this, and I love it too. Just wondering about the size and practicality factor. I am going to have to compare the measurements to a regular sized backpack to see for sure!
6. Crocodile Creek Princess Backpack: Lola’s cousin Alex has this one, and I almost flipped out when I saw it. If my sister doesn’t mind, we might follow her lead and get the same one. Lola loves it, more than the Ballerina style I was trying to get her to lean towards so as not to copy her cousin. I also love that it comes with matching accessories, like a lunch bag, pencil bag, drink bottle, etc. They are ALL adorable.
7. Cambridge Satchel Co. bag, $170, J. Crew: I adore this classically styled bag in a fun bright orange, but at this price, I better like it for a long time. Also, not sure Lola will be wowed by it.
8. Burberry Backpack, $295: Yes, it’s very expensive, but it is pint-sized perfection! I doubt Lola will go for this neutral plaid, though, so that might just save me from having to decide.
Leave a Reply