I have been the most delinquent blogger, but I do have some good reasons: travel, photo shoots for the magazine, and volunteer obligations have pulled me in a million different directions, so now I am trying to refocus and prepare for fall. We returned Saturday night to find a packet waiting from Lola’s school with all sorts of back to school information, and it sent me into a bit of a tailspin. You see, until I saw my Lola’s name on a class list with a bunch of other cutie-patootie kindergarteners, I could still pretend that Lola’s first day at “real” school was a long, long time away. Now, I see that the beginning of the early morning rush, homework, and uniforms that will define the next several years of our lives is right around the corner, so, in an effort to brace myself for what lies ahead, I will do what I do best. I will shop!
As I mentioned, Lola will be wearing uniforms. Now don’t get me wrong – I love uniforms, but part of me is starting to realize that I like the idea of them more than the reality. Of course I love how they are the great equalizer, how they put the focus of school on studying and not on what everyone is wearing, how classic and timeless and sweet and innocent they are. But uniforms do mean that I don’t get to dress Lola in a steady stream of impossibly cute ensembles all year long. Uniforms mean very little room for personalization. So, short of breaking out a bedazzler, I am going to need some way of making Lola’s uniform of Land’s End navy/green plaid jumpers, and assorted, logoed solids in navy, white and red look fresh, interesting, and adorable. And I KNOW I am not the only one. : )
So, to all the moms sending kids to school in uniforms this coming year, here are some ways to jazz things up, without breaking too many rules.
1. Oh, My Flower, $14: This oversized flower pin make a fresh statement when pinned to a simple polo.
2. Genny in Uniform socks, $14: The cutest socks ever. I am so obsessed with the Matilda Jane line that I might have to host a trunk show just so I can buy some! I also love the navy/white and red/white striped socks!
3. Ink legwarmers, $16: Sweater-knit legwarmers with pom-poms! I am in love!
4. Neon orange satchel, $170: I know the orange doesn’t really match red all that well, but it would do wonders for navy and white. And yes, I did already buy Lola that fuchsia tulle backpack, also from J. Crew, but this is a satchel, so technically it’s not the same thing at all! I just really really want to buy it!
5. Navy crystal tights, $14.50: So cute and so practical when the days get cooler.
Don’t dismay! I am not done yet… I have so many more of these ideas coming tomorrow…