When I heard my very sweet, very elegant friend Michelle bemoan her lack of cute summer tops, I was inspired. Michelle has great classic style and likes some structure and tailoring, which usually means a button-down, but many of the shirts she finds are too slouchy and too large for her small frame. The challenge? Find some chic, summery tops that will get her through the long hot Florida summer in style! Here are my suggestions:
1. Pinwheel Tank, $68, Anthropologie: This pretty poplin top features a chic seamed collar, which adds some oomph to a smaller bustline, and the sash gives it shape and keeps it from looking baggy.
2. Perfect Shirt in Amory Floral, $78, J. Crew: Yes, it’s a button-down, but a very feminine one. The darts make it fitted and flattering, and the soft tones of the floral print will perfectly complement Michelle’s red hair. Plus J. Crew has free shipping right now!
3. Dotted Swiss Shirt, $41.65, Talbots: This sweet top has girly details and a great shape.
4. Silk Ruffle Blouse, $39.99, Ann Taylor Loft: Love the pleated ruffles on this crisp little top, and white is essential for summer. There are several great options at Loft, and with code Take40, you get 40% off everything on the site!
5. Jacquard Corset Cami, $58, White House Black Market: So chic and so versatile, this structured cami has a great, lean silhouette that works beautifully as a layer or all on its own.
6. Layered Ruffle Chiffon Floral Top, $17.80, Forever 21: This girly top has ruffles in the right places, a gathered waist for definition, and doesn’t add any bulk to hips or thighs. It’s not as tailored as some of the others, but is still flattering.
Leave a Reply