I have a bad track record when it comes to shopping for my husband. Once I bought him the wrong dart board (with real darts instead of magnetic ones) and we had to lug a heavy box back through the mall to Brookstone. Another time, for our very first Christmas together, I decided to surprise him with a portable DVD player so he could watch movies on one of our many plane trips (we traveled a lot pre-babies). This was almost 10 years ago, before minivans had DVD players streaming cartoons in the back seat. I had seen the DVD player on OPRAH’s Favorite Things, and I was so excited to give it to him. When he opened the box, there it was – a small-ish portable DVD player, with NO SCREEN. It was intended for use with a TV. I shipped it back, 20% restocking fee and all. That was the last electronic I have ever bought for him. These days, I have to get creative. If you are shopping for your husband, your boyfriend or your father, chances are you’re a little stumped too. For example, my husband enjoys the occasional game of golf, but that doesn’t mean he wants every golf collectible ever made, or a signed framed inspirational poster from a golf pro. What do you buy for the guys who are impossible to shop for? I can’t claim to have the answer, but I do have a few suggestions. Maybe one of these items will be just what you are looking for, or maybe it will lead you in the right direction! These were the best I could do. I’d love to hear some ideas of your own!
1. European Pants Press, $299: It’s no secret that I hate ironing, and while this may be something of a selfish gift, there is no arguing with the results. It even looks attractive.
2. Legos Skyscrapers Sets, $22: These brilliant little sculptures are sure to appeal to any architecture lover. Each set includes all the pieces you need to build the Sears Tower, Empire State Building, and Seattle Space Needle. A great conversation piece.
3. Foosball Game, $599: When I was in college, my favorite fraternity had a foosball game in the chapter room, and it always brought all the guys together. This might just do the same in your home.
4. iTamtam Designer Ipod Speaker, $499: For the techie on your list, this mod speaker compines cool design with all the modern technology he craves.
5. Rolling Reading Table, $149.95: I bought this exact table last year for my husband, and it is the single best gift I’ve ever given him. He uses it every single day. It is now his computer stand/desk area in the living room, and it conveniently rolls out of sight when guest come over.
6. Nip it in the Bud Vases, $19/set of 3: Bud vases, for a guy? These manly little vases, featuring Julius Ceasar’s likeness, are the ideal stocking stuffer for the intellectual or history buff with a sense of humor.
7. Cashmere Sock Set, $159: Socks are the ubiquitous boring Christmas gift, but this trio of luxurious lounging essentials are woven of pure, plush cashmere.
8. Gadget Cases by Graphic Image: Keep his favorite tech toys in great shape with these stylish leather cases, which can be monogrammed with up to three initials. The eReader case is $125, and the iPhone sleeve is $62.